November 12, 2006
Weekend Update
So I've about doubled my NaNoWriMo numbers, which is good. I'm still abysmally behind. Technically I should be up around 20,000 words. As you can see, I'm at about a 1/10th of that. I blame life (stupid life).

Team HOT won our quarter final game, so next week we play in the semi-finals and then, hopefully, the finals. So here's hoping we win!

Right now I'm watching Hotel Rwanda. I remember watching the Hutu/Tutsi civil war on T.V. in 1994--I would've been about 13 at the time--and thinking how awful it was that one group of people could summarily wipe out another. I'm not a crier, but I teared up multiple times. This movie has made me feel ashamed that we, as a nation, stood by and did little to help these people/the situation. In one sense, I guess there are wars that a country must fight, after all, we had our own civil war that did much to create our national identity. On the other hand, can we, in this day of technologically advanced weaponry and in an age when other's civil wars become--like so many chess pieces on the board--power plays, can we truly turn a blind eye? Then again, perhaps like the movie depicts, perhaps the true power to change events lies in the hands of the individual...

Stepping off my soapbox now...


 
posted by Tina at 1:51 PM
Permalink |

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)