February 01, 2007
Thirteen Favorite Quotes From Strong Women


I'm borrowing this idea from Sarah over at Still Life with Soup Can. I haven't done one of these things in awhile and I think I might do a series for this month: Thirteen Favorite Quotes, Thirteen Favorite Movie Lines, Thirteen Favorite Book Quotes, Thirteen Favorite Lyrics... you get the picture.

This week is Thirteen Favorite Quotes from Strong Women. As of late, I think I've spend too much time dwelling on men and their affect on my life and have forgotten that I am a strong, capable women. This sampling of quotes come from a diverse group of women and inspire me in different ways--some strike home and rouse something deep inside, others make me laugh. I hope they do the same for you.


  1. It is easier sometimes to sit down and be resigned than to rise up and be indignant. (Ella Winter, And Not to Yeild, 1966)

  2. Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't. (Erica Jong, How to Save Your Own Life, 1977)

  3. A sex symbol becomes a thing. I hate being a thing. (Marilyn Monroe)

  4. I believe one writes because one has to create a world in which one can live. (Anias Nin, The Diary of Anias Nin, 1974)

  5. I dream that love without tyranny is possible. (Andrea Dworkin, The Woman Who Lost Her Names, 1980)

  6. We can do no great things--only small things with great love. (Mother Teresa)

  7. Sisters are probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship. (Margaret Mead in Elizabeth Fishel's Sisters, 1979)

  8. If women understand emancipation as the adodption of the masculine then we are lost indeed. (Germaine Greer, The Female Eunich, 1970)

  9. If beauty is truth, why don't women go to the library to get their hair done? (Lily Tomlin)

  10. The creative impulse, like love, can be killed, but it can not be taught. (Madeline L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet, 1972)

  11. Always use the proper name for things. Fear of the name increases fear of the thing itself. (J.K. Rowling, The Sorcerer's Stone, 1998)

  12. Better to be without logic than without feeling. (Emily Bronte, The Professor, 1846)

  13. Grief can't be shared. Everyone carries it alone, his own burden, his own way. (Anne Morrow Lindhberg, Dearly Beloved, 1962)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!





 
posted by Tina at 1:01 PM
Permalink |

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)