December 18, 2006
A Troubling Trend
It occur ed to me today, that it is December 18th, and it has yet to snow in Boston. In fact, it is a balmy (if not slightly damp) 52 degrees outside right now.

52 degrees Fahrenheit people.

Typically, this time of year, we've had at least one sticking snow that has required me to get out the snow removal brush and clean my car, if not possibly dig out the tires a bit. But not this year. For awhile, I rejoiced in this lack of snow. I am not a fan of snow, having only recently as last year discovered a use for it (snowboarding). It's cold and wet and just ungodly uncomfortable.

Yet, I am concerned.

Apparently, we are suffering the effect of El Niño, which according to U.S. Department of Commerce National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, is "a disruption of the ocean-atmosphere system in the Tropical Pacific having important consequences for weather and climate around the globe." Now I don't know about you, but this does not sound good. Important consequences, people. Important consequences.

How many of you have seen The Day After Tomorrow? Admittedly, not the best movie ever made. Jake Gyllenhaal spends a lot of time looking broody in, what I assume, is supposed to be a nerdy know-it-all kind of way, and Emmy Rossum spends a large portion of the time being all helpless girl in distress. And lets not even get started on the title, because seriously? It's just not that great.

BUT what if this El Niño crap is leading up to a literal Day After Tomorrow? What if we're all going to wake up sometime in the near future and seriously f*cked by the weather be it ice age or tidal wave? I said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't like the cold. And I'm not a fan of the idea that the piece of land I inhabit could just slip beneath some monstrous wave like a long forgotten Atlantis...

Maybe this is Mother Nature getting back at us pesky little humans for being so virus like. Maybe this El Niño thing with its warm weather is just some big pill she's swallowed to rid herself of the sniffles.

Either way, I wish it would snow.
 
posted by Tina at 1:46 PM
Permalink |

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)