September 11, 2006
Shaping the Minds of the Youth of America
So today was the first day of my teaching career. That's right folks, I am officially a college composition instructor (Adjunct Professor to be exact).

So how'd it go, you ask? It went.

I have 17 kids in my class ranging from the ages of 17 to 40. That's right, I said 40. This guy in jeans and a t-shirt and I'm thinking "Ok, this is some IT guy come to take away the T.V. in my room." Which truthfully, I wouldn't mind cause the room is effing small. But no, this guy sits down. So now I'm thinking, "Ok, this guy is a continuing ed student and he's just in the wrong class." So I decide that I'll announce the title of the class. Like three times. He still doesn't move. Long story short, he's the IT Help Desk Coordinator at Emerson College and he's pursuing an adult degree--which major kudos to him for wanting to better himself. I think I may have scared him though, cause he came up to me at the end of class and asked me if he should consider dropping the class because of work and school assignments. I told him to hang in there for the week and then we'll talk.

BUT (there's always a but), this TOTALLY changes the dynamic of the class. I mean, I can not talk to him as though he were 18, that's just insulting. I'm looking forward to see what this guy brings to the table.

Other than that, the first day went well. The kids like to talk. A lot. Especially this one Theater Major--he talks over me. We are totally going to have to break him of that habit. And yes, I'm patting myself on my back.


Tags:
 
posted by Tina at 8:51 PM
Permalink |

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)