July 06, 2008
The Post Where I Whine About It...And Come to No Discernible Conclusion What So Ever
Writing has not gone the way that I want it to this past, oh, five days. After that stink I made last post about being a writer, I've managed to accomplish nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

I blame this on my setting. See...my character wants to be an ex-army dude newly (as in maybe a year or two) returned from WWII, but my setting screams late 1950s. So I've been debating. Do I make him an ex-army guy returned from WWII and try to shift all the details (dress, social mores, etc.) to the mid-1940s OR do I make him older than I initially pictured him and shift everything to the height of McCarthyism (which may or may not make sense for another character in my novel)? On the one hand, if I were to make him still a young man (in his late 20s/early 30s) there's this whole "hope to return the way things were" that motivates his actions. Which would be easy in terms of the details I'm imagining because they seem to be more 1950s old Hollywood type of details.BUT if I flash forward, he can be more bitter and (initially) more hopeless. But that means changing some of the details, like his age (which I like where it is), and quite possibly make him a touch more resigned and surly than he is--which might not work for his involvement (physical, emotional and professional) with the other lead. And then there's this whole thing with the occult vs. McCarthyism.

At the end of the day, I think I need to get my ass to the library to do some research into the 1940s vs. 1950s. and I really don't wanna!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Tina at 7:04 PM
Permalink |

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)